Mr. G. Thomas Battle, Jr. '83 — Tommy — was appointed 12th Headmaster of Virginia Episcopal School on July 1, 2010.
Tommy entered this role with deep VES roots. He has served in many roles, including:
- Student - He is a distinguished graduate of the VES Class of 1983.
- Legacy - His father, Tom, is a VES Class of 1950 graduate and former trustee.
- Sibling - His brothers, Dill ’84 and Jim ’87, also are proud VES graduates.
- Former faculty member - Tommy joined VES after graduating college from 1987-1993 as a history teacher, football and lacrosse coach, dorm master and advisor.
- Former Director of Annual Giving - Tommy supported the 75th anniversary capital campaign that raised $8 million.
- Active alumnus - He contributed his energy and leadership through volunteer positions as class reunion chair and an alumni association representative.
- Former member of the Board of Trustees - From 2003-2010, Tommy served on the board, lending wisdom to the Finance and Academic Committees while serving as chairman of the Admissions Committee.
- Current parent - Tommy and Mary Stuart are parents to one VES graduate who attends the University of Virginia, a VES senior and a middle school Bishop to Be.
Outside of his time at VES, Tommy had a successful professional career as an investment product manager for Central Fidelity and Wachovia Banks, an eBusiness Director and Director of Product Initiatives for Wachovia's Wealth Management Division, and a financial advisor and Certified Financial Planner™ at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney. Prior to taking his current role as headmaster, Tommy served as Second Vice President-Wealth Management with Morgan Stanley Smith Barney in Winston-Salem, N.C.
A native of Charleston, W.Va., Tommy earned his B.A. in Economics in 1987 from the University of Virginia. In 1995, he graduated with an MBA from the Mason School of Business at the College of William and Mary, where he was a member of the Beta Gamma Sigma business honor society. Tommy also completed an executive leadership program at the University of North Carolina in 2000.
Tommy's wife, Mary Stuart Battle, is a graduate of Collegiate School (Richmond, Va.) and holds both a B.A. in Interdisciplinary Studies and an M.Ed. from the University of Virginia. Mary Stuart taught science, served as a dorm master and student advisor at VES from 1989 to 1993. She also taught middle school science and was Assistant Director of Admissions at Collegiate School. Currently, she serves as VES' International Admissions Counselor and an advisor.